Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 84 "It's far better to fulfill ministry when in ministry than it is to fill a bank account."

Day 84

Matthew 10:9-10 "Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food."

As Jesus sent His apostles out, He seemed to make it very clear to them that their focus was not to be about themselves, their personal comfort, or their possessions, but rather upon the work which He had equipped them for. Remember, when Jesus sent them out, their assignment was to "heal all kinds of sickness and disease," therefore, that was their goal. By focusing solely upon the goal, they would be much more successful and able to impact far more people than if they were distracted by their daily physical needs.

It never ceases to amaze me how many ministries there are out there who bring on a director or pastor and, as their first responsibility, they are told to raise their support rather than to fulfill the goal of the ministry. In this chapter, Jesus has, in my opinion, laid out a perfect plan for all ministries to follow: focus on the goal and expect those who receive the blessing, as well as those in the community, to support the ministry. Where did we go wrong? How is it that so many ministries have so drastically changed their focus to support first, then the ministry? The truth is that Jesus never sends His apostles to establish a financial foundation for any of their ministry prior to doing the ministry, but rather He sends them out expecting them to focus on the ministry and for the people to respond with support.

While I will be the first to admit I have made more wrong calls than I care to admit in the finances of the ministry, I can honestly say that Outreach America nor Shasta Lake Church’s focus has never been the raising funds; it has always been to fulfill the call God has placed upon the ministry. As a result, Outreach America did not hold a fundraiser for over three years, and continued to operate in the black, with a small cushion in the bank. Many have asked how, some have said they wish they had that kind of faith, and others have simply shaken their head, but all of us can agree upon one thing–only God can receive the glory! I think I'm ok with that. You see, I used to have my focus on raising money, then God placed me in ministry, and despite the constant attempts by satan to make money the focus once again, I think I'll stick with what works and let God take that one on. After all, He really is better at making money than I am.

Daily Prayer: Father, would you help me to keep my focus upon the ministry rather than upon the money. When I have need, would you provide, and when I go astray, please put me back on course before I stray too far. In Jesus’ name I ask these things. Amen.

"It's far better to fulfill ministry when in ministry than it is to fill a bank account."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment