Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day 71 "He's either God or He's not; I like the odds that He is."

Day 71

Matthew 9:3-8 And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, "This man blasphemes!" But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, 'Arise and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" - then He said to the paralytic, "Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house." And he arose and departed to his house. Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and it glorified God, who had given such power to men.

Ever notice how, with almost any situation, you have the commentators and you have the participants? With the commentators, you have the people who relish in being heard and perceived as being correct, or wise. They are always willing to give an opinion, and no matter how far off they may be in their analysis, they will generally defend it to the end. After all, a commentator only remains effective as long as those listening or observing believe him. The truth really can be rather irrelevant; it really is about who can present the best argument. Commentators often go through life living somewhat of a fantasy, always correct (in their own eyes), confident, arrogant, and often secretly mocked by those around them who know the truth. As my grandpappy would say, "They’re right in their own eyes, whether it's true or not. Never knew a greater fool than a commentator." Then you have the participants, those willing to get in, roll up their sleeves, and get muddy. They know the truth because they live it; you can never convince them that they are wrong because, after all, they were there! Now, let me ask you, "Who would you believe?"

People who believe that the gifts of the Spirit are not for today often remind me of the commentators. Since they have not personally experienced a miracle from God, they explain away every one they hear of. Why? With Outreach America, we are constantly seeing God's provision in miraculous ways–we don't do fundraisers or ask for funding–all we do is pray, and God always answers according to His will. Recently, when I was sharing with someone about a rather large and timely gift, he proceeded to discount the miracle of it all. His argument was that this person always gives us money and that I can't really count it as a miracle for that reason. To that I say, Bah, Humbug! I have never asked an individual or a business for funding; generally, when I pray, no one knows the amount I am praying for but myself, and yet we generally receive checks for exactly the amount that I have felt led to pray for.

You see, I have the blessing of participating in the joy of the Lord, the praise of the Lord, and the gifts of the Lord. Why, you ask? Because I refuse to be the commentator, the negative Nelly, or Eeyore of Winnie the Pooh. After all, you will experience exactly what you believe, and if you believe it will never work, then it probably won't. However, if you walk by Faith, you will live by Faith, and "without Faith it is impossible to please God." Are you a commentator? Please say no!

Daily Prayer: Father God, help me to stretch my boundaries of faith and to grow in my relationship with you to the point of truly believing you will do exactly what you have said you would. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

"He's either God or He's not; I like the odds that He is."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment