Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day 75 "His blood is far more valuable than my sin and shame."

Day 75

Matthew 9:18-19 While he spoke these things to them, behold a ruler came and worshipped Him saying, "My daughter has just died, but come and lay Your hands on her and she will live." So Jesus arose and followed him, and so did His disciples.

Oh, for just a touch from Jesus! The touch that brings life to the dead, healing to the sick, sight to the blind, deliverance for those in bondage, freedom for the captive, strength to the weak, joy to the downtrodden. Oh, for a touch from Jesus!

If you are suffering from any infirmity, all you need is a touch from Jesus. Why squalor in your misery, when all you need is a touch from Jesus? Why are you fearful, reluctant, anxious, insecure, and angry, when all you need is a touch from Jesus? Reach out and touch Him now! Is He not the one who said, "I will never leave nor forsake you"? For what cause do we hang on to our afflictions; to whom do they bring glory? For what reason do we seek the attention of others with our downcast looks, self-abusive comments, and insecure thoughts? Are we not bought and paid for, purchased by the blood of the Lamb? There is nothing ever created, ever dreamed of or wished for more valuable than the very blood that has paid the price for you and me. How dare we or anyone else cheapen the value of His blood by thinking, speaking, or acting like we are not worthy of such payment; to do so is to doubt the judgment of God. It is to say to Him that He is not able to create us in His image; that we are the one mistake He has made. Does it not say that He is incapable of being God, for we know better? How dare us!

I dare say that I, for one, would never desire to knowingly place myself in such a place, but I confess to you today that I unknowingly have, and for that I ask your forgiveness. Yes, I too have doubted His sovereignty, His ability to provide, to guide, to control, to heal, to deliver, and so much more. I have fallen into the trap of self-pity at times, but not today. Today, I reached for Him and found Him there, and so can you. Our God is an amazing God. He knows our fears, desires, weaknesses, and wants, and yet He still loves us. He never beats us with our sin or cloaks us with shame. Rather than hide in our sin, He asks that we run to Him so He can take it away–all He asks is that we reach for Him, that we touch Him. How do we touch Jesus, you ask? How do we let Him be our all in all? How do we receive? We believe. Yes, we simply believe. We believe that what He says is true, we believe His Word, we trust Him to be faithful, and we surrender it all and lay it at His feet. I no longer wonder why God had me start my devotional writing in Matthew, for now, above all else, I believe that for every one of us who call Him Lord, there is no greater thing we can do than to know who He is. To know Christ, His character, His attributes–this is to know God. And to know God is to know how to live, how to survive, how to fight, and how to win; how to overcome the world and reach the goal of eternal life with Him. Isn't that enough?

If your past is overwhelming you, may I make a suggestion? Take some time and ask God to reveal to you every sin or issue that is keeping you from being completely healed, delivered, and free to receive His love, and write it down on a sheet of paper (or in my case, a tablet). Once you have written down everything you can remember (which may take days), burn it, and ask the Lord to remove it all from your mind and accept your repentance. You will be amazed at how much this will help. As for your ongoing healing and daily strength, reach out and touch Him. Somehow, some way, spend time with Jesus. Remember, He is the Word!

Daily Prayer: Father, give me the strength to lay my weaknesses at Your feet that You might strengthen me to be of greater service to You and walk in the fullness of forgiveness. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

"His blood is far more valuable than my sin and shame."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment