Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 68 "Possession, like a mirror, is a reflection."

Day 68

Matthew 8:28-29 When He had come to the other side, the country of the Gergesenes, there met Him two demon-possessed men, coming out of the tombs, exceedingly fierce, so that no one could pass that way. And suddenly they cried out saying, "What have we to do with You, Jesus, You Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?"

Three possessed men meet in a graveyard; two are violent, one is peaceful; two instill fear, one instills hope. The two let no one pass, the one lets everyone pass. Two positions could never be more diametrically opposed to one another. The word possessed means to be controlled by, under the influence of, or under the dominion of; in other words, to be completely submitted and controlled by something.

Have you ever thought about the fact that you, as a believer, are as well possessed? So often, when we Christians use the word possessed, our natural tendency is to tie it in with evil, when such is not always the case. If the word means to be controlled by, or under the influence and dominion of another, then I am proud to say that I, too, am possessed! I am under the dominion, influence, and power of one much greater than I–for it is He, the living God, who controls, influences, and directs me.

Let me step out on a limb here and say that I believe there is much we can learn from those who are demonically possessed. If I may, let me explain what I mean. When I have come across those who are under demonic influence, there are certain consistencies in their behavior such as, number one, they are uneasy around believers because they are so in tune with the spiritual realm. Number two, they are more comfortable hidden rather than exposed; they do not want to be noticed (in most cases). Number three, they are even controlled in the physical sense, and every action they take is truly out of their control. Number four, they know the truth, and when confronted with it, they respond. They never desire to stay in a place of spiritual conflict.

So, what can we, as believers, learn from this you ask? Number one, are you uneasy around unbelievers or do you just accept things as they are, look the other way, or even, at times, participate in their behavior, after all, we would not want to offend them, right? Number two, are you more comfortable hiding who you are, and is it uneasy for you to be exposed as a believer? Number three, who is in control of your physical and mental actions, is all you do influenced by God? Number four, if you know the truth (and you should), are you comfortable being in a place where that truth is tested? Are you able and willing to defend and share that truth? See, I told you we could learn a lot from them, and I only shared a few traits of possession. We, as believers, will only be effective for the Kingdom when we adopt a lifestyle without compromise, filled with commitment and conviction, and are willing and able to defend that lifestyle with the Truth.

I can't tell you how many people I have counseled who are in a messy situation because they were afraid of offending someone or hurting other people's feelings because of their own beliefs. Why, I ask? If I am a child of the King, am I not possessed? Oh, by the way, did I mention that possession comes by invitation and surrender; have you truly done that? If not, you may want to take the step. I'm not talking about salvation by the way; I'm talking complete surrender to absolute possession by the Living God, the I Am!

Daily Prayer: Father, please accept my absolute and complete surrender to you; fill me, possess me, guide me, influence me, and make me 100 percent yours Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

"Possession, like a mirror, is a reflection."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment