Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 97 "Someday soon the Son will rise; we'll see His coming in the sky."

Day 97

Matthew 11:7-11 As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: "What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft garments are in kings’ houses. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. For this is he of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who will prepare Your way before You.’ Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

The greatness of John the Baptist can only be attributed to one thing: his selfless sacrifice to one he had never seen but knew would come. Even before Jesus arrived on the scene, John the Baptist was touting Jesus’ coming. Without a messiah, he was leading people to a new relationship with God, even to the point of baptizing them in the name of one yet to come. Talk about conviction and faith!

We see evidence of Jesus everywhere. We read of His great deeds. We can even historically document His existence, yet we struggle all too often just to speak His name. John was a man preparing the way for the arrival of the Messiah, Jesus, the Son of God. Sound familiar? Jesus said He would return again to claim His bride. Is it possible that we, too, could have the same honor as John the Baptist?

I know I'm being sarcastic, but I for one had not really paid much attention to this before, have you? Oh sure, I have thought often and do tell others about the return of Christ, but the parallel to John's life I have never really thought of until now. We have the same honor, opportunity, and yes, responsibility today that John the Baptist had in his day, and yes, we even have the advantage of the Holy Spirit, history and evidence to help us along. So, how about it, care to join me? Let's get busy telling folks about our coming Savior, after all, I don't think we have long to wait.

Daily Prayer: Father, thank you for this revelation, and may I not take it lightly. Give me the passion and desire of John the Baptist, and show me Lord how to proclaim the return of Your Son. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

"Someday soon the Son will rise; we'll see His coming in the sky."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment