Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 92 "The truth causes a choice; speak the truth in love."

Day 92

Matthew 10:34-36 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to 'set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law'; and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'

Far too many of us evangelists and pastors have promised a life of blissfulness and peace for those who become believers in Christ. While we should and will find peace with God, that very act of believing will cause great turbulence in the world around us. Let us not forget, as Paul says in Ephesians 6:12: "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." The demonic realm does not want to let go of you or of the hold it has upon this earth and those in it who have yet to profess Christ. So, what is their only alternative? It is, of course, to fight! Yes, there is a battle going on and yes, Christ truly changed that battle by His death and resurrection.

When Jesus came, He set brother against brother and so on because He caused all mankind to make a choice–to believe or not to believe. I have always thought it a little ironic and confusing how people have reacted to the change in my own life in my early years. I was a teenage rebel, full of anger, fear and frustration, living a life that in no way glorified God and, surely, I was headed down a path of destruction. My so-called friends and some family would tell me things like "You need to get help" or "Dude, you’re crazy; you’re going to kill yourself the way you live." Yet when I found Christ and changed my life, most of those friends and family would no longer have anything to do with me. I had suddenly, by my actions, convicted them; I was now "religious." I'm sure many of you have experienced the same reaction from your friends and family who don't know Christ. Let me encourage you today; we are in good company! When Jesus said He did not come to make peace on earth, I think He meant it.

So, what does this mean for us? For one, we should never be surprised when people don't want to hear about our life with Christ. Secondly, you are not a weirdo or a nut because people can't handle the message. And thirdly, when people hear the Word–the truth–they are forced to decide; therefore, the most important thing we can do is to tell the truth in love! God, by His spirit, will cause division. He will bring to light the dark, and He will cause transformation. We need not be surprised or disappointed in our obedience but rather pray for those who we are struggling with. Let us not forget that those who we are struggling with are more often than not struggling with an enemy they cannot see; with no weapon to fight with. They are in turmoil and don't even know why. Remember to pray for them, love them, and be there when they cry out; then maybe they will understand your convictions and be ready to surrender.

Daily Prayer: Father, help me to have the courage to live my life openly and to remember ‘the truth causes division.’ Give me strength to share and the love to overcome their reactions. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

The truth causes a choice; speak the truth in love."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment