Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 100 "The truth can defend itself much better than I."

Day 100

Matthew 11:20-24 Then He began to rebuke the cities in which most of His mighty works had been done, because they did not repent: "Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you. And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say to you that it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for you."

Jesus doesn't seem to be pulling any punches at this point. He has sent out His disciples, the gospel is being preached to the Jews, and now He is warning them of the consequences of rejection. I am utterly convinced that there is no way I want to experience firsthand the consequences of rejecting the truth of God, nor will I. Yet, in some strange sort of way, I do find comfort in knowing that people who saw firsthand the miracles Jesus did often reject Him as Christ, and if they rejected Him, then surely they would reject us. So rejection, actually, is something we should get used to.

I heard Pastor Jack Hayford say this once: "If you're offended by what people say about you, you have an issue of pride." At first, I was offended by his statement; however, after much thought, I realized that I did have an issue of pride, and my offense was the proof of that pride. Let me do my best to explain, if I may. You see, when we are offended by others’ view of us or our opinion, we are placing ourselves above those whom we feel have offended us; something we have no right to do. If we are all created in the image of God, then we are all equal, and if we are all equal, then we are equally entitled to our opinions and thoughts, are we not? Therefore, if I do not accept your opinion or thought, or you likewise, then we somehow place ourselves above one another, correct? The challenge truly comes when one is speaking absolute truth and the other is not; for example, the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we speak the truth of the gospel in love, we must accept the fact that not everyone wants to hear or know the truth, and should they choose to deny that truth, they are not denying us, but rather the one who created all of us. Therefore, I have no right to be offended, for by doing so, I place myself in the place reserved for the Godhead. Confusing, yes, but go ahead and ponder it for a while. I'm sure you'll arrive at the same conclusion, prayerfully, much quicker than I did!

Daily Prayer: Father, please teach me to leave my pride behind and to walk in total humility before you and before man. Teach me to trust you Lord and walk in the peace of your truth and allow your truth to stand on its own. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

"The truth can defend itself much better than I."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment