Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 105 "When the journey is the focus, the goal becomes reality."

Day 105

Matthew 12:14-21 Then the Pharisees went out and plotted against Him, how they might destroy Him. But when Jesus knew it, He withdrew from there. And great multitudes followed Him, and He healed them all. Yet He warned them not to make Him known, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying: "Behold! My Servant whom I have chosen, My beloved in whom My soul is well pleased! I will put My Spirit upon Him. And He will declare justice to the Gentiles. He will not quarrel nor cry out, nor will anyone hear His voice in the streets. A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench, till He sends forth justice to victory; And in His name Gentiles will trust."

When we read the Word of God, we have many views which we may take, one being more scholarly, seeking to dissect every word and phrase, and attempting to break down and make known the true meaning of the Word. Another view would be a much more simplistic view; one where we ask the Holy Spirit (which we must first believe in for this approach) "How does this apply to me?" As you read these daily devotionals, I pray you understand that I am being led to take the more latter approach, while seeking never to change any meaning, but simply not seeking to dissect or go too deep into theological debate. Why do I say that today, you ask? Simply because the Spirit led me to do so; hence, the point.

When I read this passage, I am reminded of the words I have heard so often from many individuals. A while back, at Church I prayed with a young man who, again, used this phrase, "God has called me to ministry." As of today, I will recommend this passage and devotional to all who use that phrase in the future because, first of all, I truly believe that we are all called to minister in some way, and yet some are called to a particular ministry, often on a full-time basis, one not being more important than the other; however, one does require more sacrifice, obedience, and self-control (1Timothy).

So, back to the passage. Again, how does this apply to you and me? Jesus was sent here for a purpose. It was repeatedly prophesied what that purpose was, often in great detail. He was God, and He knew the process as well as the purpose of His time on earth. Many men and women have had similar callings; however, they only know the purpose, not the process. Why? – because they are flesh, and we can only handle one step at a time. Moses was sent for a purpose; he was told the purpose and yet led step by step. David had a purpose, and again, he was told the purpose but led step by step, and we could name many, many more. All too often, people who have a particular call wait for God to tell them what the next step is; however, they forget that they must take the first step, more often than not, by faith. When God called Moses to lead His people out of bondage, God first set him aside and taught him how to hear His voice. Why? – because Moses needed to learn that, for he had not practiced it; he was more Egyptian than Hebrew, and that thinking needed to be reversed. When God told David that he would be King, what did David have to learn? – how to serve and submit, for he already understood God's voice. Remember Goliath?

When we are called and our purpose is revealed, that is only the beginning, not the end. God gives us the greater vision in order that we may not lose sight of His goal for us; however, He takes us there step by step. And every day that we listen and learn from Him is one day that we come closer to reaching the goal of fulfilling His call on our lives. The keys being: listening, learning, obeying, and walking in humility, for every day we do not is one day we delay our arrival at our destination of fulfilling God's purpose for our lives, thus achieving true peace and joy on earth.

Daily Prayer: Father, please forgive me for those days I have failed to take the steps you have told me to take. I ask for your encouragement and direction on a daily basis God, even when it pains me. I need Your guidance, Lord. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

"When the journey is the focus, the goal becomes reality."

Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment