Thursday, December 29, 2011

Day 117 "More of Him means less of me."

Day 117 Matthew 13:33 Another parable He spoke to them: "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal till it was all leavened." Today, we call leaven yeast; it is used to permeate flour with a gas that causes the flour to expand, to be lighter or infused. Once the process has begun, it cannot be reversed. I remember more times than I can count walking into my mom's kitchen and smelling the fragrance of rising dough. The smell would permeate the house, and often my mouth would begin to water in anticipation for what I knew would soon be satisfying my longing palate. I couldn't wait for those golden brown rolls topped with melted butter that would literally melt in my mouth. It seemed that with every bite my entire body, not just my mouth, was able to enjoy the immense flavor of those rolls. But, mom's rolls aren't the point (even though right now I want some). The point for me is: Am I longing for Heaven with the same anticipation? Do I smell the fragrance? Do I seek the source? And, is my mouth watering? For a few weeks, I have been in a desert dying for a taste of the Holy Spirit. I'm crying out daily for the Lord to bring more of Him and less of me. I am longing to be permeated by the leaven of the Holy Spirit and, yes, my mouth is watering! But why is it that it takes a place of desperation to get us to be so thirsty for God that we can think of nothing else? Why can't it be that way every day? I can honestly say I don't understand; I imagine that it is physically impossible for our human minds and bodies to grasp or achieve; however, it would be fulfilling. The leaven of heaven is a good thing; it keeps expanding us, growing us, stretching us, and causes us to want more; without it we would be flat, tasteless, and odorless. Rather unattractive, you might say. Daily Prayer: Oh Father, how I desire to be a sweet-smelling fragrance, unable to fall into the trappings of my flesh; no longer capable of inflicting pain, hurt, or disappointment. Fill me with your Spirit Lord, and draw others to me that they might see You in me, not me in You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. "More of Him means less of me." Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment