Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Obedience leads to Day 121 "prophetic, while disobedience leads to the pathetic."

Day 122 Matthew 13:51-53 Jesus said to them, "Have you understood all those things?" They said to Him, "Yes, Lord." Then He said to them, "Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things new and old." Now it came to pass, when Jesus had finished these parables, that He departed from there. If you haven't figured it out yet, I love to tell stories (nonfictional) to emphasize some of the things I have seen God do according to His promises and His Word. When I read this passage, I'm reminded of the times I would sit and listen to my grandparents speak of times of old: the trials they faced as children, the work ethics instilled from them at an early age, the appreciation for everything as a result of the great depression; then how they met and the trials of marriage, how they found Christ, the challenges of raising their children, and for one set of grandparents, how they knew God had called them to ministry. My grandparents who were pastors spoke great wisdom into both my wife and me regarding serving God and the challenges that arise when you serve people, how to stay committed and focused on God, the importance of rest, and most of all, they shared their mistakes. They were humble enough and loved us enough to admit their imperfections and then talk about the results of those failures. The many, yet not enough, hours I spent with my grandparents listening to them sharing the treasures of old can never be reproduced or replaced as they were invaluable. If only I had realized that more when they were still with us. Sometimes I will sit and read from my grandmother’s old Bible or her sermon notes and even some songs and poems she wrote, and I am amazed at how timeless the things of God are. Even though she wrote most of them 40-plus years ago, they are relevant for today. I could take them out, share them as my own, and they would be just as fresh and filling as they were when she wrote them. Why? Because the things of God are timeless; they are just as relevant today as they were when Christ walked the earth. The lessons that Moses, David, and all of the Old Testament prophets learned and shared are just as relevant now as they were then, for He is the same God. He is ". . . the same yesterday, today, and forever." We need not attempt to improve on what God has done but rather be obedient to what He asks and what He has instructed. We need to understand the treasure of the Word, listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit, and remember the testimony of the saints. These things will work together to transform us, lead us, and strengthen us; all we need to do is listen and obey. Since I can't listen to my grandparents and their wisdom any longer, maybe I'll try not to make a similar mistake with God. Daily Prayer: Father, help me to keep my ears open and my mind set upon the things of You, for Your treasures are too valuable to overlook. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. "Obedience leads to prophetic, while disobedience leads to the pathetic." Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment