Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 123 "Look with your heart; you'll be amazed at what you will see."

Day 123 Matthew 13:54-58 And when He had come to His own country, He taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished and said, "Where did this Man get this wisdom and these mighty works? Is this not the carpenter's son? Is not His mother called Mary? And His brothers James, Josas, Simon, and Judas? And His sisters, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things? So they were offended at Him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house." Now He did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief. I often wonder how many blessings we miss out on because we neglect either the message or the messenger due to familiarity. Unfortunately, I would suspect that it happens far more often than we would care to admit. Jesus had gone from a child growing up and playing in the streets of Nazareth to becoming a man speaking in the synagogue with authority and power of the written Word of God, the Holy Scriptures. Suddenly, He was able to heal the sick, cast out demons, and perform miraculous things that had never before been seen by men. What changed in Him? Why the sudden ability to do these things? May I share my theory with you? When the Lord called me to the position of Executive Pastor at Little Country Church, I suddenly, and without explanation, had a change in my heart toward the people of the Church. The first Sunday I sat with Pastor Bryan on stage, I suddenly saw people for who they were; their pain became my own, their fears were suddenly my fears, and their wants I saw. For the first time, I understood what it meant to Shepherd the Flock–the Lord had placed the mantle of a Shepherd upon me–and I experienced what it meant to be anointed for a particular work. However, to my family, my friends, and to that same flock, I was still just Pastor Gene, the guy who had been led by the Lord from one position to another and now, after 23 years, as the Executive Pastor. However, for me it was so much more–the discernment became stronger. Along with the other gifts that God gives us, this mantle was one of great power and responsibility, yet only Pastor Bryan and I understood its existence. It could not be explained and never completely understood by those who had never borne it, yet for those who had, life would never be the same. It truly was a burden to carry for, you see, I had a much deeper understanding yet, again, those who knew me didn't know; therefore, it was at times very painful, for walking fully in my gifts was not accepted. Even now, the use of the gifts God has given me is far easier to exercise when I am with people who don't know my history, as I am sure it is with you. Is it because they have not gotten a chance to see our shortcomings? Possibly so; however, it could just as easily be that they are not yet tainted by the trappings of the flesh; that they are willing to believe that God can use us. Maybe they are just gullible enough to believe that God is capable of using anyone or anything when He wants to get His point across. He can even use a mule! I would challenge you to take another look around, forget what you do know about people, and see that which you do not know. Ask the Lord if you are selling Him and or someone else short because you have a history or because you know them, and then open your eyes and watch God truly do the miraculous. Remember, if you're not open to believing the unbelievable, you won't ever have need to, because God will find someone who does. Daily Prayer: Father, help us to overlook that which we believe to be true about people. Give us fresh eyes and ears in order that we might understand you more. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. "Look with your heart; you'll be amazed at what you will see." Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment