Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 120 "Value is determined by the one who is making the purchase."

Day 120 Matthew 13:44-46 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.” Today, I would like to take a small liberty with the passage we have just read. Many of us have heard this teaching presented as mankind being the one who found the treasures of the land and the pearl. I would like to ask that we look at this from the perspective of what God chose to do for mankind, all of which He considers to be treasures. Let me explain. A while back, the Lord very specifically led me to a particular restaurant for a meal; there was no earthly reason for me to go there as I was on my way to teach at a mission's potluck. However, I could find no peace without going, and I even found my vehicle making turns that seemed to be in the wrong direction. Thus, I recognized this as a moment God wanted to happen. This particular restaurant is owned by some folks that I and many others have been praying for, who, to my knowledge, are not believers, and many of us have been showing them the love of Christ by our actions. Anyhow, after finishing the meal and a brief conversation with the owner, I went to wash up and, while doing so, the Lord spoke very clearly that I was to pay the owner $20 for the $10 meal. After a brief moment of fit throwing, I again decided to obey. As I went to the register, I handed the owner the $20 and thanked her for the meal. She immediately stopped me and spoke these words, "What are you doing? the meal is not worth $20 Gene," and before I could think, these words (inspired by the Holy Spirit) came out: "The value of something is determined by the one who desires to purchase it, not the one selling it." With a tear in her eye she thanked me and I left, still trying to process in my mind what had just happened. I immediately prayed for understanding for I knew this was a God moment, and then I asked the Lord to plant a seed in the owner's heart of her value in Christ and for His will to be fulfilled in her and her husband's lives. Two weeks later, an associate of mine and I visited the restaurant again. We needed to gather our thoughts for an evening outreach. Suddenly, the owner approached our table, obviously desiring to have a conversation, so I invited her to join us. "Gene, what did you mean two weeks ago when you said the value of something is determined by the one who is buying it?" Yahoo, an open door! “Your value as a person is not determined by what you think you are worth; after all, I would imagine that you, like many of us, would not value yourself very highly. However, the God who created you values you so highly that He sent His Son Jesus Christ to suffer and die in order that you could spend eternity with Him. Therefore, the one who purchased you has already determined your value; all you have to do is believe.” With tears streaming down her face, she hugged and thanked me then retreated to the back to, I'm sure, process her thoughts. Within a half hour her husband showed up, and with great excitement in her voice she literally ran him over to our table telling him, "You have to hear what he just told me. Sit down and listen." Again, I shared the story all the way from the Lord leading me to drive here two weeks ago, and while there were no tears, there was a seed planting followed by a retreat to the back. I don't know what has happened since then, but what I do know is this: God orchestrated a series of events because of the great value He has place upon His children, just like the man who found the field and the man who found the pearl. Are you convinced of your value? He is! Daily Prayer: Father, thank you for Your incredible love for us, and may we never forget how much you value us and every other person you have created. In Jesus’ name, Amen. "Value is determined by the one who is making the purchase." Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment