Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 151 "Children are always watching and listening, may we be examples worthy of their following."

Day 151 Matthew 18:6-7 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!” This passage came up at a very appropriate time for me, as my first wife and I had just spent four days as the teachers at a camp designed for children fourth through sixth grade. We started this particular camp about 18 years ago because we saw so many of the young people of this age group dealing with big-people issues and felt the call to use a camp setting to allow the kids to get away, have some fun, and be equipped by the Word to help them deal with day-to-day issues. Since we had been gone for the past four years, it was refreshing, as well as a blessing, to be asked to return; it was also a stark reminder of where we, as a world, are headed. The children of our world are dealing with issues that they are simply too young, immature, and ill-equipped to deal with–issues caused by sin and disobedience. Jesus is warning us not to cause these little ones to sin, not to cause our children to question the love or existence of God or to turn their back on Him because of the things they are exposed to or situations they are placed in. For example, these are some of the questions we hear on a constant and growing basis: "If my parents don't love me enough to stay together, how can God love me?", "If God is my Father and He loves me like my father, I don't want anything to do with Him.", "Why does God let my mom or dad use drugs?", "Why does God let bad things happen?" and finally, "Everyone tells me how ugly or stupid I am, so why did God make me this way if He loves me?" These are just a few of the types of questions children are asking all over the world today, and my question is, Why? Why is it that when people get caught up in sin, they have to drag the children in with them. Why can't we at least give a child a childhood? Of course I know the answer, and it generates even more anger and, yes, even hatred for sin and the father of sin, satan. However, satan is not an excuse for people to hide behind, as many have made him. He is nothing more than a fallen angel who has been allowed for a time the opportunity to refine mankind, simply because mankind has asked for him in defiance of God. This passage should, quite frankly, scare the sin right out of any adult who is in any way causing harm to children, even in what some would say is in a small way, for if we cause a child to sin, we have caused grave consequences for ourselves. I have described some rather harsh sins; however, let me bring it to a level we can all relate to. Colossians 3:21: "Fathers do not provoke your children to anger, lest they be discouraged." Is anger a sin? It can be. Have you provoked your child to the point of anger, to the point of sinful rage? Just a reminder from the Word we can all use. Daily Prayer: Father, I ask forgiveness for any time I have ever caused anyone to sin, especially a child, and I ask you, Lord, to give me the wisdom and understanding to avoid ever doing so again. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. "Children are always watching and listening, may we be examples worthy of their following." Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment