Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 149 "Offense equals a fence between you and Your creator’s blessings."

Day 149 Matthew 17:24-27 When they had come to Capernaum, those who received the temple tax came to Peter and said, “Does your Teacher not pay the temple tax?” He said, “Yes.” And when he had come into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?” Peter said to Him, “From strangers.” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free. Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you.” Ever since I read this passage a few days ago, the Lord has been keeping a particular section of it on my heart, one of those burning, sort of nagging feelings that won't go away. I know it well enough to know that it's Him, my Lord, wanting to teach me more. After waiting upon Him and listening for His voice, He has revealed to me a life-changing (for me) section of this passage that I cannot let go unnoticed. I pray it influences you as it has me, so here goes. Jesus, in His dialog with Peter, makes its rather clear that He and Peter are not required to pay the tax when He said, "Then the sons are free"; however, He does not stop there, as I am now doing as well. Just for a moment, let’s put things in perspective. Jesus and Simon Peter have been asked by people who are soon to be a part of Christ's rejection, beating, and crucifixion to pay a tax that they are not required paying. These people do not believe Jesus is the Messiah; they are set against Him and desire to destroy Him. Yet, nevertheless, they are a part of God's chosen people, the keepers of the faith to this point; they have served God well up until now–and now they have denied Him once again. Yet this is truly not the most amazing point. The most amazing point is what Jesus says and does next: "Nevertheless, lest we offend them, go to the sea, cast in a hook, and take the fish that comes up first. And when you have opened its mouth, you will find a piece of money; take that and give it to them for Me and you." In order not to be an offense to those who will soon betray and have denied Him, He performs a miracle! Did you catch that? Jesus, in order not to offend these people who He knew would betray, beat, and crucify Him, performed a miracle. Did He need to? We don't know, but we do know He performed a miracle in order not to offend and, yes, I'm driving home the point. Why? Could it possibly be that if we, by our actions, are intentionally or unintentionally being an offense, yes, even to our enemies, God will not do miracles or that we will, in some way, prevent the will of God to be fulfilled in our lives? Think about it. Have we by our self-serving, self-righteous, and ‘I deserve because I'm right’ attitudes somehow prevented the complete and uninhibited move of the Holy Spirit in our lives and consequently in our ministries and service to Him? I, for one, am convicted and ashamed of the times that I have said things like "it's their problem, not mine" or because I have been right and know it, I have been an offense in my arrogance. Ouch! We have no right as believers to be offensive, in control of, or in any other way placing ourselves above anyone. We have the right and are required to do one thing for our fellow man, Serve! My friend Troy once told me this: "There are two positions in the Kingdom: one is master the other is servant; Master is taken." Oh, how true that is! If Jesus will do miracles to keep from offending His accusers, how can He allow us to experience the miraculous if we are choosing to offend by whatever means? More good news–He loved them enough to perform another miracle–His death and resurrection; complete forgiveness upon confession of who He truly was. How many of those He chose not to offend will be in heaven? How many will I not see because I have offended? Ouch again! Here's another one: how many of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ have I offended or harmed and consequently caused their ministry to not flow in the fullness of God? Yes, it goes on, as it should. Healing is painful, yes, but it sure is better than an open wound! Daily Prayer: Father, I humbly seek Your forgiveness for the times that I have been the offender, especially for those times when I have done so in order to serve myself. Reveal to me my weaknesses, I pray, and lead me to a greater understanding that I may walk in the fullness of You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. "Offense equals a fence between you and Your creator’s blessings." Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment