Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 137 “Signs always lead to something; the question is, ‘What signs do we follow?’”

Day 137 Matthew 16:1-4 Then the Pharisees and Sadducees came, and testing Him asked that He would show them a sign from heaven. He answered and said to them, “When it is evening you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red’; and in the morning, ‘It will be foul weather today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Hypocrites! You know how to discern the face of the sky, but you cannot discern the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed. This passage has caused me to do some deep reflecting this morning. I ask myself this question, "Am I seeking signs?" or am I content with just knowing? For quite some time I have been asking God for a sign to show me that where I am and what I am doing is what He wants for me, my family, and the ministry. Yet the signs have been few and far between, and without a sign one can lose hope, drive, and ambition. However, I want to assure you that this is not the case with me or the ministry. The Lord has been very faithful to remind me daily, and again today, to look to Him and not the signs and, as a result, I am confident and resolved to do exactly what He has spoken, even when I don't see a sign. It is easy for people to get so caught up in seeking signs and wonders that they don't see God–just the signs–and when the focus is solely on the signs, it becomes very easy to be swayed. You see, God is not a puppet waiting for us to call upon Him so He can perform for us that we might believe. He is rather a God who is true and faithful to those who believe and trust in Him. Believing should never be about seeing, it should always be about belief, and that is what Jesus is telling the Pharisees here in this passage. A skeptic will always be a skeptic. Even when Jesus rose from the grave after three days, there were still those who searched for a way to explain His missing body, and they still are today. Why? Because they have purposed in their hearts not to believe even what they see, only what seems right to believe. When all we do is chase signs and wonders, we chase people or gatherings, not God. Then, when we don't see the signs, we feel lost and wonder where God is. When the revivals were taking place in Brownsville, Florida, and Toronto, Canada, I truly struggled with the fact that people were running around looking for miracles and signs. Why the struggle, you ask? Because most of those people who I knew that sought those signs are today not even following the Lord. Yes, things are happening and, yes, it appears to be good; however, if your relationship with God is in order, why would you fly to Florida to see God move? As a side note, let us not forget the enemy is a great imitator, and we are told "even the elect will be deceived." After all, if it is the same God, working through the same Holy Spirit that dwells in you, why would you need to go somewhere to see Him? Don't get me wrong, I do believe that everyone has different gifts that are manifested in various ways and, yes, I believe in all of the gifts. However, unless the Holy Spirit directs you to go somewhere to receive a particular gift, why would you go? Before you go, I would also ask another question of you, "Are you putting the same effort into your own relationship with God that you are putting into seeing or participating in someone else's?" Could it be that the gift hidden within you is not being released because of your searching out the gifts of others? Please hear me well; I am an evangelist, a man who has been a part of God's healing, deliverance, and conversion of many people. I'm not discounting signs and wonders; I am, however, saying they should not be what you seek. Seek the giver, not the gift. Daily Prayer: Father, You are an amazing God, capable of far more than we could ever imagine. Show us Your ways, Oh God; show us your will for each of us I pray. In Jesus’ name I ask, Amen. “Signs always lead to something; the question is, ‘What signs do we follow?’” Pastor Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment