Tuesday, December 15, 2009

In Him

I remember the first time I read that poem "footsteps", I recall wondering if that is really what Jesus would say, or would He say that He was walking beside me ready to catch me if I fell. Or maybe He would say don't worry I'm going before you clearing the way of all hazards and obstacles, the traps that have been laid before you. However I never realy thought about Him being behind me, it just never seemed like that was a place where God belonged, after all if He were behind me then surely I must have gotten ahead of Him. But now I truly am beginning to understand that it is not one or the other but rather all of the above, and so much more. Over the past few weeks I have found myself experiencing every emotion imaginable, and even some unimaginable ones, yet there is one thing I have not experienced, not even in the slightest of ways, the feeling of being alone! I can say with all honesty and humility that the thought of or the feeling of being alone has not even remotely been an issue, for I am confident that He is, was, and always will be with me, my wife, our children, our grandchildren, our extended relatives, our friends, the believers, and the pre-belivers, He has never left any one of them alone. Yes some have elected to be alone, or to deny that He was there, but He has been there, ever faithful, ever holding, ever leading,ever pushing, ever carrying, yes He is always there being and doing exactly what needed to be done for His child.
Some have asked me how I can remain so calm, focused, and strong during this extremely difficult time, my answer, for the first time in my life I truly know what it means to have the God of all creation be my strength, if you see strength in me then what you see is His strength not my own, for without Him I am incapable of anything less than complete despair, yet there is no despair to be found. In Matthew 6:33 we are told to "seek first the Kingdom of God" then all of these things will be added, for far too long men have equated this to riches, or some other form of earthly pleasure, yet none of the things of this earth truly matter, therefore why would God give them to us, what truly matters is that we have confidence in Christ and His sacrifice, that we love one another, that we give of ourselves if need be to the point of death for our fellow man, that is the reality of that verse. So why do I mention it now, because now I truly understand, that all I really need is Him, that He is my strength, and that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phillipians 4:13), if I will just believe and surrender. Yes we are remaining strong, yes we are scared, yes we have fears, and yes we are confident that "all things work together for good for those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).
We have faith that everything god has promised He will do and He has promised us that He will be everything we need when we have need, what more could we ask for. Dawn had another good day today, any surprises?
Gene

2 comments:

  1. Love and respect to the both of you! So glad for the energy that Dawn has had!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,
    You looked radiant and beautiful on Monday. So thankful for the mighty workings of the Lord you see so clearly in your family and those around you. I love you Dawn. I remember our first 'heart to hearts' back in your office in Palo Cedro. Loved you then...love you all the more today.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete