Saturday, May 17, 2014

It is Not Easy

“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be those of his own household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it” (Matthew 10:34–39). For those who think or have been told and believe that walking with Christ is filled with peace, love, joy, grace, and blissfulness, I apologize. I apologize for my own actions, and I apologize for the actions and statements made by other Christian leaders. We were wrong. This statement and apology of mine will, no doubt, raise eyebrows, cause negative reactions, and more, yet I did not say this—our Savior did. The fact that Jesus says these words and we choose to ignore them is an extremely dangerous and, no doubt, consequence-filled action, and these consequences are negative in nature. For example, if I sell you a vehicle I own, knowing it has a bad transmission, yet I point out to you every benefit of owning it; if I highlight all of the good points, the beautiful paint, the new tires, the clean and fresh interior, the purring engine, and neglect to tell you the transmission is going out, have I done you right? No, of course not. I have simply sold you a vehicle that will soon be going nowhere! I have neglected to tell you everything that I knew about the future consequences of owning this vehicle. I have caused you to lose faith in me. I have given the enemy an opportunity to have you lose faith in man. I have not blessed you; I have burdened you. I have left out some truth that I was aware of. I have lied! When we tell those who are choosing to believe there are no consequences to becoming Christians, when we imply that all will be well and good, when we neglect to instruct them that severe change, rebirth, is required, what have we accomplished? When we manipulate people to make a decision based upon simply the benefits and neglect to point out the responsibilities associated with that decision, truly what good have we accomplished? For those who persevere and are discipled there can be victory. For those who are left on their own, there may be fear, doubt, confusion, anger, bitterness, and even more that the enemy can and will use to draw many away. Christianity is not a club. It is not easy, and we should never falsely make it appear to be so. Jesus was addressing His disciples in this passage, warning them of what lies ahead, and many would say it is not relevant for today. To that, I say you are incorrect. Ask those who have been found guilty of being believers and faced or are facing death if this is easy. Ask their families if this has been difficult. Ask the martyrs of old and of today if their lives are filled with bliss and joy. The countless persecuted believers all over the world, even here in the U.S., ask them. Ask their families of the pain, suffering, torment of not knowing what lies ahead. Ask their children, those left without parents; ask them if it has been easy. It is time for us to stop making this belief a panacea for what ails us. It is time for us to realize the cost, the pain, the change required, and then, and only then, will we understand the responsibility of being a believer, a follower of Christ. No, Christianity is not a club and not always easy, but with perseverance and love for the Lord, victory can be yours. If your love for the Lord is shining in your every being, perhaps those who are left on their own can see that love in you and not be drawn away. Pastor Gene Burroughs, Missio Dei Navarre, www.missiodeinavarre.org

No comments:

Post a Comment