Thursday, May 8, 2014

In the Boat or On the Water

"Cheerleaders, Spectators, and Sidewalk Coaches." For quite some time, my wife Deborah and I have been encouraging people to get out of the boat to join us; after all, the water truly is fine. However, due to recent conversations with my creator, I have truly realized getting out of the boat is not the greatest of challenges or achievements. No, it is the letting go of the boat that truly is the greatest act of faith. I find that, while we have taken the first step by obeying the Lord and stepping out of the boat, we still hang on to the gunnels. Our security has been to continue my grasp upon the boat, should we begin to sink. Well, I am happy and eager to say that we have let go of the boat we are all in, and yes, the water is rather nice. The only chill in our spine is the fear and doubt in us—not from the water or from the Savior who stands before and beside us. The only fear comes from the fact that we feel alone on the water. We have plenty in the boat cheering us on, but if it looks as if we are having fun, why are so few jumping in? Oh yes, I understand people call us radical, and many say they wish they had our faith, yet where does this faith come from? Faith to let go of the boat to begin to do things that make no worldly sense is birthed from a heart and passion that is so sold out for Jesus nothing else in this world matters. For those of us who step out, there is never a shortage of cheerleaders and sidewalk coaches, and while they may feel they are doing all they can, the reality is most wish they had the ability to join us on our walk. So, what is it that stops man from stepping out, letting go, and completely trusting God? Is it a lack of faith in the belief that God can and will forgive and bless them? Is it a lack of trust or the ability to believe in something they cannot see over the reality of what they do see? In Mark 6:52, the writer states that the disciples were fearful and marveled at Jesus' ability to walk on the water and calm the seas. They had not understood about the loaves because their hearts were hardened. Jesus had just fed 5,000 men plus their wives and children with five loaves of bread and two fishes—nothing short of a miracle. Could it be, even though they had seen, they could not believe? Could it be they, like countless have done since, discounted this miracle and assumed that somehow enough loaves and fishes appeared (possibly from under the tunics of the people) to feed so many and have 12 baskets left over? Could it be that they had seen so many miracles they had become complacent and somewhat numb to them? Had they hung around Jesus so long they just expected such happenings? Or could it simply be that, because they had not yet seen Him defeat death, they simply had only enough faith to be spectators? The answer, according to the Word, was "because their hearts were hardened." How is your heart? I do not write nor challenge to cause a frenzy of people jumping out of the boat because of emotion or guilt. I write these things because remaining in the boat is what most people will do; thus, they miss out on the joy and the fullness of walking in faith. You see, being a cheerleader, a fan, or a sidewalk coach truly requires little effort. I buy my ticket; I choose a seat. I break out my comfy stadium chair, maybe throw on a blanket, and grab some refreshments and watch the happenings. I remain comfortable, satisfied, and refreshed; cheering on or offering advice to those engaged in the battle. I see every mistake they make (and offer advice). I see every pitfall they are not aware of, and I often desire to get down there and show them how it's done. The problem, however, is life is not a game; it is a battle. It is a battle for our very souls and the souls of every person on this planet created by God, and if no one jumps out of the boat, the battle is lost. I do not write to judge; I do not write to point fingers. I write simply to ask you this: "If you are still in the boat, why?" If you are choosing to remain a spectator in Christianity, what are you doing to help those who are in the battle? The battle is not won in the ongoing gatherings of believers in a comfy, quiet country club atmosphere, safe, secure, comfortable, and unchallenging; no, the battle is won deep inside our own hearts and minds. It is won when our flesh is defeated and the Spirit is in control and people of this world are being impacted because of it. The battle is won when those who believe shine so bright in Christ that those who have yet to believe cannot help but be impacted, drawn in, and desire that which we have. The battle is won not in the boat; the battle is won on the water. The battle is won not by cheerleaders and spectators; it is won by those determined to keep their eyes on Jesus and move. I wish, I will, I want, I will when—these are all simple words and phrases without meaning or worth. The true worth and power comes in the doing; the obedience of faith. No, it's not easy, and yes, I do understand, but don't look to me or any other man—look to Jesus. Your eyes must remain on Him, and He will see you through; after all, He did promise to! Pastor Gene Burroughs, Missio Dei Navarre, www.missiodeinavarre.org

No comments:

Post a Comment