Wednesday, May 28, 2014

For the Sake of the Sheep

When I was in the third grade, my father decided it was time for me to become a shepherd. I started with an ewe (mother sheep) and a lamb, and before too long, I had a small flock. Little did I know that in the later years of my life, the time I spent as a shepherd would someday play such as significant role in my life. You see, sheep are a very unique animal: very peaceful, loving, needy, and not as stupid as many people accuse them of being. They are, no doubt, the most trusting of animals. Once they bond with you, there is little or nothing you can do to break that trust. Recently, I was being reminded by the Lord what my responsibilities as a shepherd are, and one duty, in particular, came to mind: to "protect the flock." In the mid '80s, I was asked to preach on the 23rd Psalm, and as I did my research, I learned many interesting facts, some of which I personally experienced as a shepherd. For instance, every night when I would bring the sheep in from our mountain pasture into the protection of their corral and pen, they would rub against me as I stood by the gate. It was rather irritating at times. Often they would push very hard, and, on occasion, when I was dressed to go somewhere special, the smell of lanolin from their wool would permeate my clothing. During my studies, I realized shepherds are aware that this practice is the sheep's way of acknowledging their trust for their shepherd—it is both a greeting and a proclamation. As I look back on those days and this twice-daily interaction, I now understand much deeper the great responsibility I bore as the shepherd. As I stood at the gate, I knew every animal that came in. I knew them well: their habits, their tendencies, and their needs. I also knew nothing other than my sheep could enter that sheepfold, as did the sheep. You see, neither coyote nor lion was allowed in, and if one attempted to, I would stop it at all costs. If anything or anyone meant harm to my sheep, they had to go through me. Even at that young age, I would let nothing past me, for more often than not I was armed just for that reason—to protect my flock and myself. As the Lord has led my wife and me to once again shepherd a flock, this action has returned to the forefront of my mind, and the Lord has led me to reflect upon it with inspired intensity. This morning, I was reflecting in John, chapter 10, as Jesus described Himself as the door to the sheepfold and that no one may enter the gate except through Him. He goes on to say the "thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy." I was also reminded of 1 Peter 5:8 where we are commanded to shepherd the flock and to be aware "the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." With over 34 years of serving in ministry, I have seen many instances where the enemy has been allowed untethered to enter the flock and lead people astray. Under the guise of grace, mercy, or fear of judgment, we sit by and say nothing of people who have entered the church not to be transformed by the renewing of their mind, but rather to fulfill their own desires and satisfy or justify their worldly passions. Before you get mad at me, let me say that I am not saying we should judge people before they can enter the church. I am, however, saying there are wolves that have entered the church leading people astray. As a shepherd of God's sheep, I am suddenly very serious about the intent of the hearts of those who desire to remain in the church. I desire to know the sheep by name, to have them trust me, and to respect and honor that trust. I desire to protect the flock from the devil, the roaring lion: the wolf that seeks to devour and feed upon God's people. As a young shepherd, if a predator attempted to enter my sheepfold, I stopped it at all costs; again, as a shepherd of God's flock, I shall do likewise. How often do we truly know those who are caring for our babies, teaching our children, singing on our worship teams, ushering us in the isles, sharing with us from a place of authority, the pulpit? Prayerfully, we know them well, but are we able to when the immediate need is met by energized, well-spoken individuals? What are some signs of those who seek to destroy? The first, I believe, would be a rejection of authority; lack of submission to the will and transformation brought about by allowing Jesus to be Lord of your life. If your church were opposed to such things because they oppose the Word of God, why then would you allow those who do not oppose them to infiltrate your church? It is not as if yours is the only church, there are plenty out there that will allow these folks in with open arms. After all, it is not about how many sheep you shepherd; it is, however, about how well you shepherd the sheep God has entrusted to you. Mind you, I am not making any accusations or insinuations; I am, however, raising the point for my own reflection, to remind myself and other leaders that our duty, our responsibility, and our commitment before God is to protect His flock, just as He would. Yes, all are welcome in the church, yet not all are welcome to remain, unless all are willing to be changed. Tough words, I know, but true for the sake of the sheep. Pastor Gene Burroughs, Missio Dei Ministries, Navarre, FL www.missiodeinavarre.org

No comments:

Post a Comment