Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 52 "The one I serve is the one I love."

Day 52

Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Mammon.”

The two masters Jesus is referring to are God and money–or spirit and flesh–two things which are constantly at war with one another. The love of money and the pursuit of riches is a topic which Jesus often mentions, and in every case, He is extolling the evils of pursuing wealth. When the God who created Heaven and Earth warns us of the incredible evil associated with pursuing riches, should we not listen? Remember what He is saying here, ‘do not serve Mammon.’ He is not saying it’s evil to be wealthy: what He is clearly saying is wealth and the pursuit of it should never be our motivation. I know many wealthy people who allow their money to serve God and have succeeded in not becoming servants of their riches. The problem comes when our focus in life becomes so intent on gaining wealth rather than seeking a closer relationship with Christ. That thing we seek with the most passion is truly that which is ruling our lives, or in other words, that which we serve.

As a child growing up, I witnessed far too many members of my family fail miserably (at life and love) while pursuing riches. As a result, I coined a phrase which I live by to this day: “I would rather be poor with love in my home than rich with no one to love.” The pursuit of happiness is not the pursuit of money: it is the pursuit of the greatest giver of love, Jesus. My greatest desire has now become that of helping others pursue a relationship with Christ. You see, I know something they don't. Even though the road will be hard and the way long, there is no greater joy than knowing Him; that He has washed your sins as white as snow and is even now sitting at the right hand of the Father making petition to Him for us all.

I am a slave to God, not money. May I ask, "Who is your master?" If not God, why not? If money, why so? And, if you’re not sure how to find out, believe me when I say this, “Others know, you might try asking them.”

Daily Prayer: Father, help me to serve you today and to place my worldly desires aside and follow after the things of Christ. Show me where I am falling short, and direct me back to the path of righteousness. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

"The one I serve is the one I love."

Pastor Gene Burroughs Servant

No comments:

Post a Comment