Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 51 "I desire what I see; therefore, I must see only that which I choose to desire."

Day 51

Matthew 6:22-23 “The lamp of the body is the eye. Therefore, if your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is in darkness, how great is that darkness!"

Like me, you may be asking, “What does my eye have to do with being a lamp?” I must confess that I really had to seek God on this one. Maybe for some it was easy, but not for me until the Holy Spirit revealed it. A biblical lamp is made up of three basic components: the receptacle, the fuel, and a wick. In this case, the receptacle would be the eye, the fuel would be the intent of the heart, and the wick would be the mind. The intent of the heart would create the flame or the passion; the mind would be the element used to control the amount of fuel used; and the eye would be what, in this case, takes in the fuel for the fire. Therefore, if the eye seeks out good fuel, the heart will receive it, the mind will distribute it, and the spirit will light the flame that all will see–good fuel, good actions. Yet the opposite can also be true in that the eye, while searching the horizon, may seek out things that are not so healthy for our spirit, and while the internal reaction is the same, the result will be darkness–or the intent of our heart. Rather than people seeing good and God glorifying things in you, they will see defiling and deceitful things in you.

Maybe this will help. If you smell or hear something, the eye must choose whether you look to it. If you don't look to the source of desire, the way becomes much more difficult toward attaining it. You can't see the path to desire if the eye does not reveal it, right? Sounds like we may want to keep better track of where our eyes wander. This happens to be the way the Internet has become such a successful tool for the enemy. He knows that if he can get our eye, it won't be long until the rest of us follow: we see; we desire; and, all too often, we react by not turning away but rather toward the temptation. Are you allowing your eye to wander? If so, rein it in, if not, be watchful and wary lest you fail.

Daily Prayer: Father God, help me to take the effort to control my eyes, to be wary of the desire to let them wander, and choose rightly what to allow within me. Amen.

"I desire what I see; therefore, I must see only that which I choose to desire."

Pastor Gene Burroughs Servant

No comments:

Post a Comment