Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 39“Everyone has been purchased by His blood; therefore, nothing holds greater value than they.”

Day 39

Matthew 5:39-42 “But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and to him who wants to borrow, do not turn away.”

Wow! Talk about going against everything the word teaches. How can Jesus say such things? Doesn’t He realize how people will take advantage of us if we do as He asks? The answer is, “Yes, of course He understands, after all, He left heaven and came to suffer and die for those same people.” Of course people will take advantage of those who turn their cheek and give more than what they are asked to do; however, they will not do so without conviction. You see, anytime we react to the harshness of the world with humility and grace, it will never go unnoticed.

One cold blustery night I was preaching, and a guy came in off the streets. He was obviously homeless and chilled to the core from the cold. His only outerwear was a sleeveless shirt, and he carried a blanket to wrap himself in. Here I was teaching on the mercy of God, wearing my favorite Kerusso designed hoodie, when this passage entered my mind. You guessed it! Off came the coat, and then as if that were not enough, the guy asked me for a Bible. Well, yup, the only one available was mine and, yes, I gave it to him. I saw this man not long after and, no, he was not wearing the hoodie nor did he have the Bible, and needless to say I was upset. Then the Spirit convicted me. You see, He told me to give it away without conditions, without requirements, and without promise. My anger left me rather quickly, and once again compassion returned.

I believe with all of my heart that God wants us to see the value in mankind–the good, the bad, and the ugly. Why? Because He gave His life for all mankind, not just the deserving–there are not any deserving of His life–not you, not me, nor anyone who has or will be born of mankind. If we will make the effort, take the time, and give when giving makes no sense, it will never go unnoticed by God.

If He is my all in all, and if He is my provider, my strength, my shield, my God, won’t He take care of me if I take care of His who have gone astray?

Daily Prayer: Father, I ask that You would make my heart expand in love and generosity and that you would help me always to know Your people are far more valuable than anything this world has to offer. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

“Everyone has been purchased by His blood; therefore, nothing holds greater value than they.”

Gene Burroughs, Servant

No comments:

Post a Comment