Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 224 “Wait, watch, listen, and pray; things will go much smoother that way.”

Day 224 Matthew 26:47-56 And while He was still speaking, behold, Judas, one of the twelve, with a great multitude with swords and clubs, came from the chief priests and elders of the people. Now His betrayer had given them a sign, saying, “Whomever I kiss, He is the One; seize Him.” Immediately he went up to Jesus and said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed Him. But Jesus said to him, “Friend, why have you come?” Then they came and laid hands on Jesus and took Him. And suddenly, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword, struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear. But Jesus said to him, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?” In that hour Jesus said to the multitudes, “Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take Me? I sat daily with you, teaching in the temple, and you did not seize Me. But all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples forsook Him and fled. On my first trip to San Francisco I found myself in a very long and dark alley, watching over two women and a teenage boy as they ministered to a very drunk young man and his girlfriend. As I stood there, the only thing I could think about was how I would defend these three if we were assaulted in such a dark place by one of the many groups of thugs looking for such an opportunity. As I stood guard, a man approached us and began speaking the most vulgar things I have ever heard spoken to these ladies. He became louder every moment and I became angrier with every word. After a few moments, I was fed up and had decided to just knock this guy out with a well-placed punch, yet, as I drew back my fist, I was stopped by that all too familiar voice of the Lord. “If you handle this in the flesh, the result will be one of the flesh. I can do my own battles; you haven't even prayed.” Well, needless to say, I dropped my arm and began to pray. I prayed that he would be quiet, and immediately he was. Then I prayed that the girls would not remember, and they didn't. They ended up praying with the man and the woman, and the man I was dealing with disappeared as quickly as he had appeared, so all was well. However, if I had continued down the path I was heading, only God knows what would have happened, but I know it would not have been His will, for His will was for me to pray and see Him win the battle. In Luke's account of this passage, we are told that Jesus healed the ear of the man who was attacked so, in other words, what Peter did as a response in the flesh Jesus made right in the flesh in order that the spirit-led scripture might be fulfilled. Peter did not attack the man out of extreme love for Jesus, for if he did, he would have stayed around. No, he and the other disciples ran in fear. Peter reacted in his flesh both times, and both were wrong. I guess maybe we all could learn to wait a little longer, react a little slower, and pray a little more. Daily Prayer: And that, Lord, would be my prayer, that I would wait on You more, take the time to hear Your leading, and spend more time seeking Your will. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. “Wait, watch, listen, and pray; things will go much smoother that way.” Gene Burroughs, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment