Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 217 “I would rather bless God and satisfy my spirit than ignore God and satisfy my flesh.”

Day 217 Matthew 26:10-13 But when Jesus was aware of it, He said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a good work for Me. For you have the poor with you always, but Me you do not have always. For in pouring this fragrant oil on My body, she did it for My burial. Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.” During Jesus’ short time on this earth, His suffering, both up to and upon the cross, will forever be remembered as the most selfless act of any man ever recorded in history. However, rarely will anyone think of the daily sacrifices that Christ made, particularly in His final three years (as, historically, we know very little about His childhood). He had no home, few close friends, denied His family, and was seemingly rarely concerned about His own comfort. His time on earth is coming to an end; most of the people around Him have no idea of what He is going through or what is about to happen. Obviously, His heart was heavy for His people, yet, as a man, He surely longed for some comfort for His weary body and soul. With everyone else clueless, suddenly this woman who had sat at His feet, one who had purposed to know Him, realizes that He is in need, and without thought of cost she takes action. She takes the most valuable of all of her possessions and gives it to her savior. And note that she doesn't just give Him a flask of oil; no, she takes this oil and begins to anoint her messiah. She lovingly and carefully rubs the oil into His very pores, even the souls of His feet, and she blesses our Lord and savior. How is it that so many so close to our Lord would miss such an opportunity? How is it that they ridiculed her rather than join her in this selfless act? It is a rare opportunity when someone is allowed to bless God; after all, what does He long for? what are His needs? I liken it to trying to buy something for the person who has everything–what do you give them? I personally struggle often to the point of giving up and sending a card, yet somehow my wife always knows just how to bless them. I truly don't get it, but she does. So the question for us today is how do we bless God? What can we possibly give that would bless the King of Kings and Lord of Lords? Well, for once I do have the answer: we give Him us and make the sacrifice of giving our time, our talents, our gifts, and our resources, all for the sake of Him rather than the selfishness of us. Daily Prayer: Father, I desire to bless You, and all I have is me and the decisions I make. I pray that you will help me to purpose in my heart to give you my all in order that I might be a blessing to You. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. “I would rather bless God and satisfy my spirit than ignore God and satisfy my flesh.” Gene Burroughs, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment