Thursday, April 12, 2012

218 “The value of everything is determined by what we will pay or be paid for it.”

Day 218 Matthew 26:14-16 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you?” And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver. So from that time he sought opportunity to betray Him. There are several very interesting points worthy of mentioning today in this rather short section of scripture which represents a truly pivotal moment in history; the first point being that, to the Jewish leader, Judas could have been viewed as an answer to prayer. Think about it, if they did not believe Jesus was the messiah, then they were obviously praying for His demise. Therefore, Judas could very well have been viewed as one sent by God to deliver this so-called heretic into their hands. So here is a question for each of us: “Are we confident that the prayers we are praying are according to His will or are they according to our own will?” Secondly, Judas had a price. There was an amount of money that Judas was willing to sell out for–in this case, thirty pieces of silver. By the way, thirty pieces of silver was the same price that was paid for a slave if he was killed by your ox (Exodus 21:32) and, oh by the way, the ox was then to be killed. In Zechariah 11:12, it was also the price paid by the people of Israel to release them from the influence of the shepherd (God) whom Zechariah was representing. It is also very ironic that the Lord told Zechariah to throw the thirty pieces of silver to the potter, as the potter was considered to be the lowest form of laborer. As we will see later on, when Judas gives back the money to the high priests, they purchase a potter’s field to bury people in. I remember the day very well when I was working in the corporate world and the realization of selling out hit me. I was in my office in agony over tough decisions the corporate office had made that I was being demanded to enforce. I didn't agree with them yet I was responsible for carrying out their will. It was then that I realized that I had sold out, that they were the ones in control, and I had agreed to the price; it was also the day I purposed to leave. Have you sold out? How much will or did it take? Just remember, it will never be enough. You see, once the price has been paid for something, there is no turning back. Even if, by some chance, you didn't fulfill what you agreed to, you have done it in your heart, and you are now a thief and a liar– there is no winning! Once we step over the threshold of considering doing wrong and we enter into the place of purposing to do wrong, we have stepped into the place of complete separation from God–we have set the price and the value of His influence and control of our lives. Fortunately, we do have the grace and mercy of God that reconciles us through the blood of Christ, but we, and all of those affected by our choice, will face the consequences of our decision. Once Judas had accepted the money, he was past the point of turning back. His next option was to go forward with his plan; right or wrong, there was no turning back in his mind. Judas had purposed to betray God and for whatever reason he did, yet even Judas regretted his decision, but by then it was too late for him. Praise God that until His return or our death, both of which may be at any instance, it is never too late for us. Daily Prayer: Father, I ask forgiveness for those times where I have purposed in my heart to sell out; for giving into the gratification of my flesh rather than the fulfillment of Your will in my life. May I learn from the mistakes of my past and avoid these same pitfalls in the future. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. “The value of everything is determined by what we will pay or be paid for it.” Gene Burroughs, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment