Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 24

Day 24

Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

One thing I know, I am a man in need of mercy, also known as compassion. I am one who would ask others to consider the circumstances surrounding my situation before judging me for where I am. We are all failed beings in a hard land attempting to reach the other side, yet how quickly we forget.

As a child in my grandmother’s home, I remember very clearly a small picture frame on a side table in her living room, and in it were written these words, "Father, let me walk a mile in my brother's moccasins before I judge him." The word mercy here means to be compassionate, caring, or to come along side of. One thing I am certain of, we could all use a little more mercy and compassion. Why, you ask? It seems that most of us on this journey through life truly are seeking for others to come along side us. People who care enough to listen and not judge, to hold up our arms, to show us mercy, yet for me, it is all too often a struggle to do this for others. The flesh is constantly battling the heart, all too quick to judge, easily offended, yet rarely patient and kind. Therefore, the giving of mercy in my own life must be purposed, I must commit to it and even plan for it.

As a child, every time we were in a vehicle, my father was yelling at other drivers. After all, every action others took was directly related to their desire to discomfort him. If you cut him off, it was because you intended to, after all, you had set out that day with a plan to find him and ruin his day. However, life has taught me a few lessons about people. First of all, no one is going to waste his time planning to mess up my day. Now, while the devil may use people to do so, my frustration should be leveled at him, not the people. Secondly, I have learned that other people just like me have constant challenges–doctor appointments, ball games, dance lessons, school meetings, jobs, birthday parties, holidays, and loved ones in need–all of which contribute to the confusion in their lives. Oh, you mean it's really not all about me?

One afternoon my daughter and I were heading to town, and in the rear view mirror I watched as a car approached us at a very high speed, erratically weaving in and out of traffic. As the car passed us, the driver promptly cut us off and then reduced her speed so quickly I had to change lanes to keep from hitting her. My mind went rampant, what was wrong with this person, how could she be so stupid? There was no off-ramp, no reason to do that, and of course I vocally expressed my frustration in front of my daughter. As we began to pass the car, it became quickly apparent that the woman driving was very distraught and crying profusely, and then the Spirit convicted me. Was she on her way to the hospital, and was her driving a result of some terrible event? Yet, in that moment I made it all about me, completely ignoring the needs of my fellow man! My daughter and I began to pray after I openly repented and asked both her and my Lord for forgiveness. Yes, people are selfish, rude, and unruly. Yes, they do foolish things. Yes, Jesus died for all of them. And yes, I, too, am one of them.

Wouldn't you like to receive mercy? "To give is better than to receive," and Christ might add, ‘and if you do, you will.’ Would you today and every day attempt to give more of the gift of mercy, the gift of not getting what you deserve?
Daily Prayer: Father, help us to be givers of mercy, to set ourselves aside and allow you to help us see what you see in the people around us. Give us mercy Lord, I pray. Amen.

"Anyone can judge, only the merciful can forgive."

Gene Burroughs, Servant

No comments:

Post a Comment