Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's the Journey

For the last few months I have been taking the Church through the book of Acts, actually a better way to put it is that I have been led through the book by the Spirit and dragged everyone else in my life along with me. I can only hope that those around me are able to enjoy what I am learning as much as I am, because quite honestly there is nothing I know of that brings the same joy and sense of understanding as being led through the Word. As I wrap it up one thing has become ever so apparent, the destination is not the goal, it's the journey! Dawn could be heard saying this quite often as she cast her wise counsel on those seeking encouragement, and honestly while I agreed with that statement in fact, I truly did not understand the depth of it until now. You see Paul had been told by the Holy Spirit that he was to go to Jerusalem and then to Rome, that "chains and tribulation awaited him" however he was not dissuaded. No he continued on, and while on his journey he continued steadfastly in the work God had  called him to do, to share the gospel. The destination was not Paul's focus, his focus was rather to do what God had called him to do everyday to the very best of his ability. As I look over the past thirty plus years of Dawn and I serving the Lord I am so grateful that we chose to be obedient in the journey. How pitiful and dull would Dawn's passing have been if she simply focused on the destination, if she had never given a second thought to the journey? I dare say there would not have been the great outpouring of prayer and support, or the large number of people at her service, or more importantly the people who will join her someday as a result of her service and sacrifice. Oh how hopeless would life be today if she had focused on herself, her destination, her reward? Quite so I would imagine, (and thank the Lord imagine is all I can do). How sad would her children and grandchildren be if this woman who was the patriarch of the family had never focused on the journey, again we will never know. Instead we have children and prayerfully someday grandchildren who are dedicated to following in the footsteps of this mighty woman of God. They too are choosing daily to focus upon the journey, to keep alive the hope of Jesus Christ, to as they have seen done! Just today Natalie and I were able to share the vision of ministry the Lord has placed upon each of our hearts for those who are hopeless. Oh how proud I was and Dawn would be to hear my fifteen year old daughter share how she is choosing to share a message of hope, how she wants to help others especially youth who are going through a similar trial. She has a passion to show the youth how selfish they are if they have parents that they are taking for granted, she too desires to focus on the journey, as does Michaela.
Oh what a different world it would be if all of us who call Him king were to do the same, if we would seek Him daily for our daily direction. If we would only stop reviling in our reward and seek to show others the way to find there's. If we would but place our pride on the shelf long enough to humble ourselves and admit our challenges, our fears, and our failings, so that others too could see they are not alone. I challenge you today that if you are one who was changed by Dawn's journey, will you step up and do the same for others, can we all in the face of adversity focus on the journey. After all did dawn ever reach her final destination on earth, or was her life just a journey? Of course it was and so is ours.

PS If you no anyone seeking camp, retreat, or other event speakers the Holy Spirit, my daughters, and I are putting together a presentation that will rock their world!

No comments:

Post a Comment