Monday, October 25, 2010

Healing a Broken Heart

Healing a Broken Heart


The healing of a broken heart is not something that one can quickly or readily repair, this complex organ that pumps life giving blood through our bodies is far more complicated than we could ever imagine. Our hearts are connected to every single function in our complex system of nerves, cells, veins, arteries, and so much more than we will ever understand or comprehend. No this muscle is not just a life-giving organ in complete control of our physical bodies; it is somehow connected to our emotions in such a way as to control our mental being as well. How can it be that one organ could have so much control over the entire spectrum of human existence?

You see when you experience the loss of a spouse, a child, or anyone you love, this heart that is broken remains and even intensifies in its control of every part of your being. I have come to the conclusion that no matter what state the heart is in, it can completely and utterly control our very nature of existence, our response to every situation if, we allow it to do so. Oh yes there is a caveat, if we allow it to do so! Yes it is true that without the beat of our heart our physical bodies will immediately cease to exist, my own father died of heart failure in mid sentence, they said he was dead before he hit the ground. Our bodies cease to function at the very moment our hearts cease pumping the life maintaining blood through our bodies. This is a fact and a function that we have no control over. However there is another side to the heart, the emotional side, the part that loves, hates, and controls our minds to the very degree with which we will allow it. When experiencing emotional stress our entire body, both physical and mental responds to the emotion and heartache, not just loss of love, but anger, bitterness, rage, depression, and so much more. Jesus speaking as recorded in the Bible in Matthew 15:19 says this of the heart: “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.” Yes the heart is necessary to our very existence, and yes we need our heart, and yes our heart needs us. Not only does our heart need us to control what enters our bodies for its physical health, it needs us to control what exits the emotional side as well. Is it not ironic that the very emotions generated by our hearts if left unchained will ultimately cause great stress and affect the physical well being of the very heart that it came from?

All of this being said I have purposed in my heart to make a choice as the result of Dawn’s passing; “I will not die of a broken heart!” Oh yes this is a choice, a very conscious choice, for it would be much easier to die of a broken heart than to proceed through life with the scars being born on this one. But as the word tells us, we cannot trust our heart, we must take captive the emotions that proceed from it and balance them with the reality of faith, of the existence of a God who controls all things and truly desires what is best for us. Oh I know how easy it is to be mad at God for allowing someone to die; much easier than believing that this is best in the long run, but again this is my choice. I look at it like this: if I were able to understand God, or if I were god, how messed up would things be, rather I must admit, for you see I recognize that I am too controlled by my heart, and since I cannot trust it, I cannot trust me. Oh yes my heart was broken, slowly it is being healed and while forever it will be scarred the choice is mine as to how much I will allow it to lead me. I would encourage all who read this to take control of your heart, in both the physical as well as the emotional, and walk in the confidence of knowing that to a very large degree you control the outcome.

Gene Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment