Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No guilt in life no fear in death

No Fear in Life no Guilt in Death


As I am sure you can imagine it has been quite difficult to write for the past two weeks, yes it was two weeks ago tonight that Dawn went to be with the Lord. You see ever since her passing I have been extremely busy with taking care of legal stuff, making arrangements, planning services, and much more. Let’s face it there is no time for grieving immediately after someone’s passing, maybe that is a good thing in some folk’s way of thinking, however for me it feels a little cheap, yes I said cheap. I have spent the past 35 plus years with the woman I love, she is plucked out of my life, and I am so busy taking care of things that I don’t even have time to process the loss, until now, two weeks later. So here I am at 12:30 am having spent a large portion of the day going through her things and finding myself wondering what comes next. Will I be able to handle everything I need to do in order to be a great Father, a Pastor, a Housekeeper, and to the degree that it is humanly possible fill the gap left by Dawn’s passing for our children and grandchildren? Suddenly I understand to a greater degree why so many widowed and divorced people seek another mate so quickly, (something by the way that I refuse to do for years to come.) I find myself asking the question at times, “What would Dawn do?” when faced with various decisions and unlike when she was here I now find myself agreeing with her 100% of the time. You see it is not that Dawn and I became one at marriage and at her departure we were torn apart; I believe that somehow we remain one. Oh yes I miss the smell of her hair, the touch of her hand, the sound of her prayers, and even the covers being pulled off in the night, and so much more, but still she remains with me. I am now and forever will be a different man than I ever was before, a man integrated and filled with the influence of this amazing woman with whom I spent the last 35 years with! The true bind however is the one we still and forever shall share, a bond that cannot be broken by time, by any man, or any influence upon this earth or in the universe, we share the bond of our Lord, our savior, our God! You see Dawn and I will never be apart because the God that not only brought us together but also kept us together remains within us, He always has been and always will be our source of strength, wisdom, guidance, love, patience, faith, and so much more, and that gives me all I need to carry on!

Dawn Burroughs lived a life best described by these words, “no guilt in life, no fear in death” but only because of Jesus Christ her Lord! That same God dwells in every believer and because of this we too should have, “no guilt in life, or fear in death” for this is a great truth. When we learn to overcome the guilt of sin, and walk in the power of fearlessness nothing can ever separate us from the love of God, and we become very dangerous for the enemy of our souls, for it is then he knows he has lost. My flesh aches to hold my beloved wife once again in my arms, to tell her once again just how much I love her. My spirit however encourages and reminds me that I am not alone, that God will give me everything I need, and that soon and very soon we will be together again, and in that knowledge I too can rejoice and thank my God!

Gene Burroughs

4 comments:

  1. How I hope to live as well as her! You are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww brother, i have attempted to comment several times and keep erasing it, cuz what is there really to say, except luvin and prayin for you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, when i went to post the first comment the password that it gave me to verify was extol: to praise highly, glorify, laud, eulogize, acclaim, words that i could not express, and here they are, thank you Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gene, I really don't know what to say to you but I know our God, the Holy Spirit is with you always. Knowing you are not alone is awsome. What would we do without Him?
    That's something I never want to know.
    I am so thankful to Jesus for Dawn, for all of her encouragement in my life and the lives of my children, I thank the Lord for letting me know you and Dawn, what a blessing! I thank Him for sharing her with me for a while! I can't wait to see her again!

    ReplyDelete