Friday, April 18, 2014

Do You Know Him?

In my studies today, there was a subtitle over 1 John 2:3–6 in my NKJV New Spirit-Filled Life Bible that caught my eye and my heart: “The Test of Knowing Him.” As I read the passages, the accuracy of the statement rang in my ears. You see, the editor of the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, Pastor Jack Hayford (one of my personal favorite leaders), truly hit the nail on the head, for verse 3 begins with these words: “Now by this we know that we know Him.” Let me stop here for just a moment. The writer of 1 John is implying that the words to follow will challenge us to an answer, and that answer will reveal to us whether or not we “know” Him, Jesus (1 John 2:1–2). The word “know” is rooted in the Greek word “ginosko,” which is translated as: to know absolutely, allow, be aware, feel, to have knowledge, perceive, be resolved, be sure, can speak, to understand. The writer is stating that if you know or understand God, if you perceive that He is who He says He is, the following statements will be true of you. He is also saying that if the following statements are not true, then you truly do not know Him—a profound statement! Let’s read on: “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.” He who says, “I know Him” and does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him; by this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked. Yes, these are powerful words, and yes, they apply to us, and yes, I did not say them; they came from the inspired Word of God. And yes, they are true! The writer, more than likely someone who walked with Jesus; someone who knew Him in the flesh and heard His words firsthand; one who saw Him crucified and witnessed His resurrection; one who would dare not taint, in any way, the truth, for he witnessed God’s power, has written these words for us to help us understand. This is not just about keeping commandments (something we all need grace to do); this is about, to the very best of our human ability, walking as Jesus walked. How did Jesus walk? He spoke truth in love. He confronted lies with truth. He loved sinners. He enlightened mankind to the truth. He made sure we understood the path to eternal life. He spoke of perilous times that would come; He warned us to watch, and He warned us that we were not to be lukewarm. He told us to light our world; to be the salt. He warned us to change and be born again. He led us to the truth and warned us of darkness. He came in love, walked in love; He showed us examples of love, and He never complained. He shared His life; He was not a wimp; the world did not sway Him; truth was His banner, and He never compromised. He was pure at heart and resisted evil. He promised a helper, and He kept His word. He walked in the miraculous and promised we would do likewise. He equipped us, empowered us, and enabled us; He challenged us to do likewise; to make disciples; to be His ambassadors in this world. He warned us of the difficulties we would face for doing as He had done. He said it would not be easy, that men would despise us, our children would turn on us, and He promised to reward us. He defends us to our enemy and makes petition for us to our Father. He continues to care for us, and He never turns His back on us. He calls us to be like Him. He is our Savior; He is Jesus. Because He is who He is, asks what He asks, did what He did, and does what He does, I want to know Him. More and more I desire to please Him. He has never failed me, and I desire to never fail Him, and when I do, I run to His rescue. He is my God! Because He is my God, I obey Him. I expect the miraculous, I teach to make disciples, and I study to know His Word. I do not worry about what others may think. I live to please Him, for He is worthy! Do you know Him? Pastor Gene Burroughs, Missio Dei Ministries, www.missiodeinavarre.org

No comments:

Post a Comment