Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 187 "If I must look down to see you, then I have placed myself above you."

Day 187 Matthew 23:1-12 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” This very well could be the message Jesus gave that caused the Pharisees to become bold enough to accuse Christ, for I truly believe that this is one of the most powerful messages He gave while in Jerusalem. These spiritual leaders had let their power corrupt them, they had stepped over the line, and their actions had become the opposite of their words. Jesus was giving those who would hear this (including us) a message that would remain timeless until His return. Yes, these men were the keepers of the law; however, they were not the law. They spoke one thing and did another; they were first-class hypocrites, and they were far from humility. When men of God seek the best place, seek the glory, seek to be served rather than to serve, they are walking on very thin ice; they are heading down a dangerous road that could lead to destruction. In recent years, we have seen much evidence of so-called great leaders of the faith fall long and hard largely due to their lack of humility and desire to be lifted up. I will confess to you that this is, in my opinion, the very toughest battle that we leaders face, and I would admit to you that I fight this battle myself on a daily basis. I thank God for the many friends I have who have committed with me to keep me from such failure by reminding me of who I am in Christ, a fallen, forgiven man. One of the greatest examples of this desire to be lifted up became very obvious to me a few years ago while working the relief effort in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. All over the area where we traveled in the midst of great devastation were the largest billboards I have ever seen. Many were illuminated and very colorful, and it was very obvious that great care and (ongoing) expense had gone into these roadside signs. Most of these billboards had one thing in common, the picture of the pastor and possibly his wife in their entire splendor. The signs were obviously made with the intent of getting people to come to see this great person. Oh yes, some of them mentioned Jesus, but I cannot remember seeing a sign that proclaimed Him as the head or made Him the point of honor–that place was obviously reserved for the pastor. And, oh yes, I realize that this may be cultural and, yes, I may be offending some people, but if I am, you might want to once again read this passage–for it is the Holy Spirit who is offending you, not me. Anytime we, as leaders, place ourselves in a position of splendor or a position of high honor, anytime we become the focus of the flock rather than Christ, we are on dangerous ground. I realize that there are those who will place pastors in such a position; however, I also realize that we, as the leaders, are to thwart such efforts when they interfere with peoples understanding of God's role and the Holy Spirit-led direction for us believers. Pastors are shepherds. Our role is to tend to the flock, to see that their spiritual needs are met, to feed them, care for them, protect them from the attacks of the enemy, and so on, not to be served by them. I pray that, as leaders, none of you have allowed yourselves to fall into such a trap, and as followers, may we never elevate our leaders to a wrongful standing as well. Keeping the balance is difficult I will admit; however, balance we must! Daily Prayer: Father, I pray for humility as I serve You. May I never place myself above those whom I serve. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen. "If I must look down to see you, then I have placed myself above you." Gene Burroughs, Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment